- Anytime there's a closure in your practice, whether it's Christmas vacation or July 4, or the COVID crisis we just came out of, there's a certain amount of pent up demand that's going to occur once your practice reopens.
- And you've seen this. You've seen this through the holidays and vacations that you've taken over the years when you come back, the schedule is busy.
- I think during this latest COVID crisis, there was a little bit of a hope, a big hope, that the closure would lead to a significant amount of pent up demand.
- And we have just not seen that materialize, and it also wasn't our prediction to start with.
- Generally, pent up demand doesn't exist in dentistry for a couple of reasons.
- First, is oftentimes the hygiene schedule, aside from blocking out spots for new patients and emergencies, is already pre-scheduled out through that reopening period.
- So, there is no capacity to incur additional demand unless you've got open chairs and you've already had holes in your schedules.
- Secondly, coming out of this crisis, there is going to be a measure of pent up demand – of emergencies and elective and treatment that was put off prior – that now patients are going to come back and need to get completed.
- And there's going to be a certain curve that occurs where you reopen and then pent up demand occurs.
- But then we get back to a level playing field or even declined trend from where the effects of the shutdown start to set in.
- And being able to be very nimble, and make sure that you can keep your labor calibrated to your current level of collections.
- Make sure that the business is operating in the current reality.
- If you're still operating how you were pre-COVID-19, you're going to have a significant amount of struggles, profit and cash flow moving forward here.
Created by Smartbox
SmartBox employs the best minds in dentistry to help you grow your practice. Our Practice Growth System™ is proven to help dentists in every market area across the country achieve predictable year-over-year growth.
"Running your practice by yourself can feel overwhelming. With our help, you can increase the quality and quantity of your new patients, which will allow you to get back to enjoying life."