Unless you put yourself through dental school by working as a plumber’s apprentice, fixing your own leaks is a waste of your time and talents. There’s a lesson here for dentists, because too many try to do things themselves that won’t make them money. I’ll be back after the break to tell you about one of the biggest wastes of your talents.
– Thanks for watching the Patient Attraction Podcast™.
– I’m Colin Receveur, founder and CEO of SmartBox Web Marketing.
– I know thousands of dentists, and that’s no exaggeration.
– I know that many dentists are extremely talented in areas other than dentistry.
– I’ve met dentists who are artists, athletes, historians, mathematicians – the list goes on.
– I’ve met certified geniuses who are practicing dentists.
– And you know what?
– I’m met very, very few dentists who are good marketers.
– It’s not really something that you take up as a hobby.
– But I’ve met way too many dentists who kept trying to do their own marketing.
– And the results have usually fallen between mediocre and disaster.
– There’s a good reason for those lousy outcomes, and the reason applies to other situations, too.
– One of our SmartBox employees did his own taxes for decades.
– Here’s what he told me.
– “I was fed up with stressing over taxes every year,” he said.
– “The rules are constantly changing and I couldn’t keep up.
– “I thought, hey, I only do this once a year.
– “Why the hell would I be any good at it?”
– Finally, he got fed up and went to a tax preparer.
– The relief was huge.
– Are you handling your own practice marketing?
– You certainly didn’t go to dental school to become a marketer.
– And it certainly wasn’t covered in the curriculum.
– Have you ever stopped to ask yourself, “Why the hell would I be any good at this?”
– Maybe you figured you were saving money.
– The truth is, you’re probably costing yourself money.
– Maybe you’ve been burned by a marketing company and decided not to risk it again.
– But if you had an unhappy experience with one accountant, would you swear off all accountants?
– Or maybe you think you have a knack for marketing, and you halfway enjoy it.
– But in today’s online marketing world, the rules are constantly changing.
– Do you have the time to keep up with changes to SEO, content marketing, AdWords, pay-per-click, and more?
– If so, you have too much time on your hands, which means your marketing isn’t working.
– There’s only one marketing metric that matters, and that’s more patient butts in your chairs.
– And here’s a radical thought..
– Marketing doesn’t make you a single cent.
– Not one penny.
– You make money by seeing patients and solving their dental problems.
– Marketing is just the means to get more patients to make money on.
– The more patients your marketing brings in, the more money you can make.
– But if your marketing brings in low-case-value patients, you’ll work longer and harder.
– Stop trying to do what you never trained to do.
– That’s what Dr. Lawrence Fox of Burke, Virginia, decided.
– He told us, , “I’m not all that savvy on the internet with marketing and things like that.
– “I just know that’s not my thing.
– “I liked what Colin had to say.
– “We got in touch with SmartBox and felt like we needed to make that change.
– “So we left our other marketing expert and turned to you guys, and we’re happy we did.”
– And I’m happy to say that Dr. Fox’s marketing ROI is an astounding 38 to 1!
– What could you do with that kind of return on investment?
– There’s only one way to find out – if you’re serious about success.