- Where have all the good dental team members gone? Well, fact is they're still out there.
- But a large majority of practices that are hiring are having a really tough time attracting them.
- According to the ADA Health Policy Institute as of October, about one third – 33% – of dental practices are trying to hire a hygienist and about a quarter of those practices are actually recruiting them.
- Roughly four fifths, or 80%, of practices are having a lot of trouble finding hygienists right now.
-Some 70% report that finding assistants is very or extremely challenging.
- Now, no one knows for sure, but the old phrase, Once bitten, twice shy, might apply here.
- Dental practices are among the most stable businesses out there.
- And it probably came as a shock to you and your team if you had to shut down and furlough team members.
- It's not surprising that people aren't eager to put themselves in a position to go through that again.
-So what can you do?
- Well, the short answer is to provide reassurance in your hiring ads, your social media, using terms like stable or successful, thriving, upbeat.
- Be optimistic about it, no one wants to come join a dwindling practice.
- If your situation is such that you can continue to pay your staff when your practice isn't making money, find ways to emphasize that.
- Emphasize how well your team was taken care of during the shutdown.
- There's more to hiring really good team members than just salary; that's usually fourth or fifth on the list of what great employees are looking for.
- And I'll tell you that in my next podcast.
Created by Smartbox
SmartBox employs the best minds in dentistry to help you grow your practice. Our Practice Growth System™ is proven to help dentists in every market area across the country achieve predictable year-over-year growth.
"Running your practice by yourself can feel overwhelming. With our help, you can increase the quality and quantity of your new patients, which will allow you to get back to enjoying life."