- Hiring the wrong person costs any business, but especially dentists, in terms of time, aggravation, and team performance.
- Here's how to hire the right person, the first time.
- Following on from last week's podcast, let's talk about hiring A-players and making sure that they're the right fit for your practice.
- Now, I'll start by saying that fit is a two-way street; your practice and you also have to be a good fit with the A-player that you're looking to hire.
- If you're totally hands on with managing every aspect of your practice, why are you looking to hire an A-player?
- Why do you need an A player if you're managing everything, if you're not focused on growing your practice on having an impact in your community?
- Why would an A player want to choose your practice to work for?
- You'll do well to have specific answers to those questions before you ever get into an interview.
- Just as important is to have a set of objective hiring criteria to guide those interviews.
- Ideally, it won't be just you meeting with them and assessing if you think they have a nice personality, but also one of your team members as well.
- The objective hiring criteria make sure that you're all measuring with the same things.
- However, a lot of people who can't do the job, give great interviews. You've probably had the experience where you've hired somebody you thought was amazing, and then at 30 days, it just didn't work out.
- Don't limit the process to just an interview, you need to know that the candidates can walk the talk at a performance test for what you've created as an objective scoring process.
- Some dentists do this through a couple hours chairside as a working interview. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate, just something that you and your other team members can use to create a scorecard.
- With this objective hiring criteria, you can avoid the revolving door of hiring and firing and hiring again.
- And this is just a quick overview. We have here at SmartBox a complete A-player hiring guidance system that lays out the process in much greater detail.
SmartBox employs the best minds in dentistry to help you grow your practice. Our Practice Growth System™ is proven to help dentists in every market area across the country achieve predictable year-over-year growth.
"Running your practice by yourself can feel overwhelming. With our help, you can increase the quality and quantity of your new patients, which will allow you to get back to enjoying life."