Black hat SEO tactics are an old, if not exactly honored, tradition in internet marketing. The black hats have taken several hits since Google wised up to their underhanded tactics. Now, it looks like they may have found a new way to scam dentists out of their hard-earned search rankings. I’ll be back after the break to tell you why doing well online is the best revenge.
– Thanks for watching the Patient Attraction Podcast™.
– I’m Colin Receveur.
– Ever since the first search engine was created, marketers have tried to game the system.
– Keyword packing and link farming are just two of the black hat tactics that flourished before Google started imposing penalties.
– Now, it looks as if the black hats have found a new scam – engagement metrics.
– Engagement metrics include things such as clickthrough rates, dwell time on a page, video watch times, and conversions.
– There’s some debate over whether Google takes those into account when determining your search ranking, but the safe bet is to act as if it does.
– Engagement metrics are the next likely target for underhanded tactics.
– If engagement metric manipulation is occurring, Google will figure it out sooner rather than later.
– There’s little that dentists can do to prevent engagement metric manipulation.
– This is a case of “doing well is the best revenge.”
– If your website and social media marketing legitimately draw large numbers of visitors who remain on and engage with the site, you’re good.
– If you’re getting high clickthrough rates on your paid ads, you’re good.
– If you’re converting significant numbers of your visitors through your dental advertising lure, you’re good.
– In fact, your online marketing should be accomplishing those things anyway.
– Is it?
– Here’s an idea.
– Let me evaluate your website and tell you how it can be improved.
– Go to smartboxdental.com, go to the Resources tab, click Products, and then click on The Swift Kick Dental Website Review. You can order a customized 30-minute video critique of your site, social media presence, online patient reviews, dental videos, and more using our 131-point dental web marketing checklist.
– Doing well online is the best revenge against black hat SEO tactics.