Here’s a memorable quote from Dr. Michael Abernathy, the founder of Summit Practice Solutions: “If you’re not working towards something that’s going to give you freedom, what in the world are you working towards? I’ll tell you: MORE WORK. There’s a better way. You just need the blueprint to build it.” After the break, I’ll tell you the blueprint for dentists succeeding on their own terms, regardless of their practice goals. Stay tuned.
– I’m Colin Receveur, CEO of SmartBox.
– Thanks for watching the Patient Attraction Podcast™.
– When did dentistry stop being fun, and why?
– When did dentists start rushing between operatories seeing way too many routine patients?
– If you feel like you’re on a treadmill going nowhere, you have a lot of company.
– Most dentists these days are working too hard for too long for too little.
– That’s the result of a “me too” marketing approach.
– Dentists tend to market based on low price, specials, discounts, and dental insurance.
– There are a number of problems with that approach.
– One is that it gets you into a price war with your competitors.
– That keeps driving down prices, which shaves your margins to the bone.
– Another problem is that it typically gets you low-value prospects with no loyalty to your practice.
– That keeps you spending more on marketing to replace them.
– Traditional dental practice marketing keeps you working too hard for too long for too little.
– Yeah, that’ll take the fun out of dentistry and keep you running between rooms.
– So, that’s how dentistry arrived at this sad state of affairs.
– How’s it working out for you?
– Hopefully, you’re happy, fulfilled, and optimistic about the future.
– Hopefully, you’re able to work at a relaxed pace and on cases you enjoy.
– Hopefully, you have time and energy for family, friends, and yourself.
– Or are your days pretty much the same old, same old?
– Are your days filled with routine, low-value, and simple cases?
– Are you feeling chained to your practice and wondering how long you’re going to be able to keep going?
– Dentistry is too good a profession to be this bad.
– The way to make dentistry everything it should be is to retarget your practice marketing.
– In almost every market, around 20 to 30 percent of dental prospects just don’t care about what you’re advertising.
– These better prospects aren’t driven by price, insurance, discounts, or specials.
– They’re looking for something different – the right dentist for them.
– Better patients have the ability and willingness to pay more for the dentist they choose.
– As a group, better patients tend to be very loyal to a dental practice.
– Their lifetime value to your practice is many times what you get from price shoppers and one-and-dones.
– With better patients in your chairs, you can work less, earn more, and enjoy life.
– Dr. David Porter of Gillette, Wyoming, has a particular goal in mind with his marketing.
– He said, “My expectations are certainly changing often, but really, I want flexibility.
– “If I want to practice less days per week, which I think at some point I will, I believe SmartBox is going to be able to help me do that.
– “If it’s to bring on some type of an associate, I think that SmartBox is going to be able to help me in that direction as well.
– “It’s really helping me gain control of what I want to do rather than things being dictated to me.”
– Flexibility and choice – those sound like good things for you to have.
– SmartBox will help you get there.
– We provide a steady stream of better patients so our doctors can focusing on doing the dentistry.
– And SmartBox dentists can do a lot more of the cases they really enjoy.
– That sounds a lot like freedom, and as Dr. Abernathy pointed out, that’s what you should be working toward.